2020 began normally enough, but by mid-March the pandemic had caused the first round of restaurant and bar shutdowns to begin. As it pertains to food and drink in New Albany, how has the scene been doing since?
Is it half full or half empty?
It depends on how one chooses to look at it.
Since January 1, 2020, I’m showing seven new places opening; eight closing; three still in limbo v.v. the pandemic; three relocated or changed ownership; and one on the drawing board.
Obviously there has been a corrective, whether caused by the pandemic or not; from what I know, at least four of the closings predated COVID or had nothing to do with it. Given this, things are more bullish than not.
OPENED IN 2020 (5)
- Board and You Bistro & Wine Bar
- Fistful of Ale (nanobrewery extension of Fistful of Tacos)
- Happy Times 420 Cafe
- Legacy Pizza & Bakery
- Recbar 812
REOPENED AT A NEW LOCATION IN 2020 (3)
- 8th Street Pizza (reopened at a new location)
- Israel’s Delicias de Mexico (reopened at a new location)
- True North Coffee House (new ownership at the former Quills)
OPENED IN 2021 (2)
- Agave & Rye Epic Tacos New Albany
- Monnik Beer Company New Albany
CLOSED TEMPORARILY SINCE 2020 (3)
- Café 157
- Lady Tron’s
- Toast on Market
CLOSED PERMANENTLY IN 2020 (6)
- Daisy’s Country Cooking
- Longboard’s Taco & Tiki
- New Albany Roadhouse (verification?)
- Primo’s Delicatessen
- Roadrunner Kitchen
- The Standard (now functioning as special event space)
CLOSED PERMANENTLY IN 2021 (2)
- Adrienne & Company
- Winnie’s Decadent Desserts & Deli
ON THE DRAWING BOARD (1)
- Baer’s Winery (formerly River City Winery)